Saturday, February 8, 2014

Whistler/Blackcomb 2014 Update

As I sit here in the Vancouver airport, I reflect on the enormous developments that have occurred on this west coast resort. This year 2 new chailfts, one Peak to Peak gondola and lots of new housing developments. Apparently since the 2010 Olympics prices have started to soar for lift tickets. As a university student in the late 70's we would hike into the bowls that are now easily accessed via the Peak Chair, Harmony, and Symphony chairs. I think the best is off the T-Bars on Blackcomb Glacier nowadays, requiring some hiking. Due to the increased uphill capacity, there is very little untracked areas, even though all the hip skiers (Xtremely Canadian) are skiing on the new wide reverse rocker skis. How much powder can you really get with so many skiers on this mountain! I demoed a pair of new Rossi 88 mm underfoot rocker skis, and found them easy to turn, but toothless when it came to holding a carve when the conditions got icier on Franz's run. My point is that there is too much hype on the North America's most popular mountain. One small problem this season is the lack of snow. As I debated with Ruth the Whistler Mountain doctor we argued as to what was the cause of the increase of injuries on the slopes. She argued snow conditions and I argued too much up hill capacity. I think we are both right. With the lack of snow there are more skiers on groomed runs causing collisions. At my Whistler Toastmaster meeting I met a young skier that got sidewiped by a snowboarder coming over a ledge on Blackcomb. Just too many skiers all over the place. Not to mention, they are all pumped up listening to music from their ipods as they cruise the busy slopes. Just a recipe for an accident. My point is Whistler is a great development but you still need to get away from the main runs for a little ski pleasure. Turn off the cell phones (Whistler/Blackcomb has free Wifi thanks to Telus, so everyone is on their phones texting, chatting and facebooking). So different than when I was here as a ski student hiking for powder. BTW tickets are now $109.00 per day!!
This year Whistler is low on snow so make sure u check snow reports before coming out for a week. Apparently the west is having its worst snow year in 10 years. Time for me to check out the smaller resorts away from all the technology and crowds. if you enjoy some good apres ski music, go the Chateau Fairmont and check our Richie Samuels The Adventure Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment