Friday, May 27, 2016

Environmental Update

As adventure travelers we have a connection to the environment. As I look back on my writings and journeys I see a distinct change in environmental conditions affecting the destinations I love. From  snowless slopes at Mont Tremblant in December, to fishless snorkeling  in Cozumel, I have seen the impacts of climate change.


Recently, one of my colleagues told me about her brother who had to flee his home in Fort McMurray due to an  uncontrolled forest fire. I just learned that forest fires are becoming more prevalent due to the increased global temperatures. In British Columbia insect infestation is destroying the forests, due to the warmer winters. New insects are living in our colder climate and attacking our natural environment. There was recent weather pattern research indicating that the Mediterranean eco system posted its highest temperatures in 900 years.

I recently completed a blogger challenge course that encouraged writers to express their ideas on how  to make the world a better place. That concept struck me, and I wanted to focus this post on having readers pay more attention to their environmental impact. If our society could "stop buying stuff we don't really need to impress people we don't really like", we could reduce a lot of unnecessary stuff in the world. One issue I have is about the luxury vehicles industry. Do we really need to have high performance engines when the speed limit is only 100 kms per hour? Do we need to buy high octane fuel to supply the high performance engines to burn more fossil fuels? Can we drive smaller vehicles and put less mileage on them. Can we reduce our consumption of leather interiors and save some animals? How about turning your bike into your convertible car in the summer. We could then reduce fossil fuel consumption, get in better shape and reduce the risk of diabetes and heart conditions. Our car based society combined with high processed food consumption is driving our society to high rates of diabetes, hypertension and cancer.

If all adventurers  help with protecting the  environment, perhaps, we can make the world a better place, one bike ride at a time.


The Adventure Guy

 

7 comments: