Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bike to Work Day May 27, 2013 -via Hydro Corridor Bike Path

I have cycled many places, but never have I cycled to work. I have always needed my vehicle and had to be dressed to sell. However, this week, I participated in the Bike to Work Day, on a beautiful sunny Monday. As I rode to work on the quiet solace of my bike, I could hear the roar of automobile traffic rolling down Bayview agressively to get to the 401. I took a right turn, off of the busy street which is illegal for cars to do by the new by laws, and I entered the quiet serene side street network (I recently fought a $100.00 ticket for making this same turn in my car between 7-9 am). It was picturesque and quiet. I made my way to the Hydro Corridor heading west behind Finch and rode on a newly built cycling trail to Dufferin. I meandered next the Lord G Ross water resevoir and saw rabbits and joggers on the trail. I connected onto Wilmington, and the tree tops streets kept me cool as I quietly made my way to Wilson. I went west on Wilson and made it easily to my destination on time and nicely refreshed.

The moral of the story is that cycling to work is one way to reduce your carbon footprint on the earth and at the same time keep you healthy. The 30 minutes or more of cardio in each direction, is enough to keep your heart and blood sugars down and make you feel healthy all day while stuck at your desk. I call it urban surfing. In Australia, executive ride the early mourning waves before getting to their desks. In Toronto, try riding the newly built cycling trails along the hydro corridors and other cycle friendly streets.
Just go to google maps and click on the bike icon and you can find your own sacred path to commuter bliss.

Ride On,

The Adventure Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment