Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Beaches Jazz & Blues Festival Streetfest 2013



It was a warm and overcast night when I headed out to see the grand finale of the Beaches Jazz Festival.
On the subway, I met an elderly gentleman with a T-shirt from a blues festival in Finland. As I got closer I realized I was entering a mecca of blues enthusiasts from around the world. I entered from Woodbine street, where the barricade blocked the cars and the street festival was all along Queen to the east. The first performers that I noticed were stellar. In a small tent was Dr Dre, a group of young musicians led by a charismatic rock violinist. I did not realize young musicians were into violin. As he increased the energy his bow began to fray with the pressure on the strings and enthusiasm he transmitted. The crowd revelled in the cool Jean Luc Ponty sound.

Moving east along Queen I saw a larger blues band, and then found Jerome Godboo and his band in front of the Lion's Pub. Jerome is a staple of the Toronto Blues Society, and one of the most supportive and helpful blues harpists out there. He graciously gives harp players his music sheets on how to play harp in various positions. He is a multi instrumentalist performer, that is always a pleasure to see.

Further down the road I came upon the Johnny Max band, who had a great dance move and charisma about them. There was a young little blues boy who appreciated the sound and entertained the audience as he danced to the sounds of 60s rock and blues.

On the way back, the skies opened up and it began to rain, putting a new feel on the event, as people walked with umbrellas and the musicians played on. There was an aura of peace and tranquility as Torontonians of all age were enjoying the sounds of blues in the rain. Another beaches event to be remembered.

Rockin' in the Rain,

The Adventure Guy


No comments:

Post a Comment