Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Moksha Yoga North York and Thornhill

I have begun to explore the Yoga sanctuaries of Toronto on a  Passport to Prana pass that allows users to try one class at each school. I will use this blog to give you some of my thoughts on my adventures. My first stop was Moksha Yoga www.north-york.mokshayoga.ca

Hot Yoga, the new phenomenon is a North American product designed to recreate the heat that exists in the country of origin India.  I had a stressful experience finding parking at North York location, but they have a cool arrangement with the building to provide discounted parking by pressing the blue button. Be careful or you will get hit for a $69.00 ticket like I was. I then had to write a letter explaining the story. Hopefully I will get reimbursed or this will be the most expensive yoga class of my life.

The Moksha training area is very clean and bright and the heated floor made my body warm and relaxed as I moved through the vinayasa. Postures do not have to be as athletic, and after a few minutes in the room, I was dripping with sweat. My tatooed instructor was very methodic in her approach and I left there feeling relaxed and drained of my water, as I sweated profusely in the heated room. As my first experience in Moksha Yoga, I did not bring water, so I think I dehydrated. There is a $2.00 charge for mats and towels and they were kind enough to provide them complimentary. The class was full and they ask you to arrive 10 minutes early to get a good spot. The vibe was cool, but not super urban.

My second Moksha experience was in Moksha Thornhill www.thornhill.mokshayoga.ca As I go deeper into suburbia, the clientelle gets less urban chic, but still the facilities remain clean and heated. In Thornhill I was told they are at 101 to 103 degrees while at North York 98 degrees. Parking is free and easily available and I did not get stressed out finding a place and no ticket. A big plus for suburbia.

Both locations produce a great heat workout which I think is great for injured warriors and ageing boomers like myself. The dry heat makes the muscle tissue easier to stretch and my injured nerves increase their blood flow with the heat. This North American invention is ideal for many styles of health improvement and Moksha does it in a clean and polished method. Well worth the sweat. The most stressful part is finding cheap parking in Toronto. Next time I will cycle there.

Namaste


The Adventure Guy


No comments:

Post a Comment